Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Nomads of the Cranberry Festival

Since I can remember I've gone to the Cranberry Festival. It always amazed me all the people that would come to this town that they wouldn't give a second thought too on a regular day, and for a whole weekend spend it there like it was some magical place. There is the food, the lawn decorations to buy, and the cheap toys for your kids to beg for. But never as many cranberries as you would imagine. Then also at 4:00 on Sunday afternoon, everyone leaves. The vendors pack up, vans are loaded with the things that weren't sold, and they go. They just move on to another festival or flea market. It's like clock work every year, and it's nice to know that in 10 years, the same exact thing will be happening on the third weekend of October. 

2 comments:

  1. I also went to the Cranberry Festival on Saturday--I was amazed to see how big it was, but equally amazed in the lack of cranberries. Where the festival was has so much history for the locals: Buzby's general store was where they laid down the pilot Carranza when he crashed in the Pine Barrens, and (for me) Hot Diggity Dog has been a "on the way to the shore" staple for years. But, all these people that came out to the festival only cared about the quick caravan of knick knacks and carnival food. Interestingly enough, I really enjoy my new Halloween sign, and the cheese fries were great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese fries... mmmm

    I never seem to make it to these events. For years I've been getting on my parents' backs about going to some community events. It never seems to work out well, though.

    ReplyDelete